A Workshop on the
Taxonomy of Western North America Dytiscidae
and Other Aquatic Beetle Families
Standard Taxonomic Effort in the Pacific Northwest
Oregon State University
Department of Fisheries & Wildlife
The mission of the Southwest Association of Freshwater Invertebrate Taxonomists (SAFIT) is to promote understanding of the taxonomy and systematics of inland freshwater invertebrates in support of biotic condition of inland aquatic ecosystems of the southwestern United States. Fundamental to this mission is the standardization of identification and reporting of freshwater invertebrate taxa. SAFIT fosters scientific research, education, and professional development in the environmental sciences, as they pertain to inland freshwater invertebrate taxonomy. To accomplish this mission SAFIT will:
1. Establish standard taxonomic procedures.
2. Provide/maintain standard taxonomic effort document.
3. Facilitate information exchange.
4. Improve taxonomic QA/QC methods.
5. Promote scientific and educational programs.